My father wants me to help him escape from prison!

(NNPA)—Dear Gwendolyn: I am in my last year of medical school—oh yes, soon to be a doctor if everything goes well. It has been a difficult task to accomplish. I married two years ago and that has been good.


This is the problem: My father wants me to assist in helping him escape from prison. He claims he is innocent of murder. I won’t go into detail about what he did, but a judge gave him life without the possibility of parole. Dad says he is innocent. I hate to see him rotting away being incarcerated. Gwendolyn, at the same time I don’t want to end up receiving time in prison for assisting him.

Gwendolyn, what should I do?—John

Dear John: Your father was wrong to ask you to chance losing all you have striven to accomplish. I think sometimes people write to me when they already know the answer. You know you didn’t have to write to me regarding a situation such as this.

Let me tell you this—and tell you why: Do not go to visit your father and do not talk to him via phone, or any other means and do not receive letters from him. If letters come from him, put them in a safe place unopened. Think about it. If that correspondence is requested to be presented in court, it will show you never knew the contents.

John, this is what you can do: File for a writ of Habeas Corpus. Your dad can file or he can delegate a third party to do it in his name. With DNA testing, the courts are finding many prisoners (some having served for decades) to be innocent of all charges. (Get form from a state court or a federal court—In both cases the form is the same). I say this because you are a newly married man soon to become “Dr. John…” He’s your father and never stop loving him but stay away from the prison. You don’t need to be there if your jailbird father decides—to fly away.

Got a problem, email Gwen at: or write to her at P.O. Box 10066, Raleigh, N.C., 27605-0066. (to receive a reply, send a self-addressed stamped envelope.)

About Post Author


From the Web

Skip to content