SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — A woman alleges former San Francisco 49ers defensive lineman Ray McDonald sexually assaulted her after a night of drinking and after she injured her head in a fall by his swimming pool, according to court documents unsealed Monday.
The woman told authorities she has no memory of the sexual encounter that occurred in McDonald’s San Jose house, which police say occurred Dec. 13. The court papers quote McDonald as saying in a text message that he believed the encounter was consensual. McDonald also told police the entire incident was captured “on his internal video system and was on his DVR in his room.”
No charged have been filed, and the San Jose police continue to investigate. McDonald could not be reached for comment, and his agent, Tom Condon, didn’t immediately respond to text and phone messages.
The court documents were written by San Jose police investigators to obtain a search warrant for McDonald’s home. The documents were unsealed in Santa Clara County Superior Court and stated that the incident began with the woman drinking with friends at their home. They then met McDonald and several of his friends at a nearby bar and finished the night at his San Jose home.
She told police the last thing she remembers about the evening is falling down near McDonald’s pool and hurting her head. She awoke naked the next morning next to McDonald, who initially denied a sexual encounter, according to the court documents.
The woman stayed with McDonald at his home the next day and drank vodka with McDonald and San Francisco 49ers player Aldon Smith, according to the papers. That’s when McDonald conceded that a sexual encounter occurred, according to the court documents.
An investigator using the woman’s phone Dec. 16 and pretending to be her texted McDonald complaining about the encounter. McDonald responded by saying the woman “started coming on to me” and that the incident was consensual.
“I don’t understand why you’re bothered. U chose to stay with me another day,” McDonald texted. The investigator posing as the woman replied that McDonald shouldn’t have had sex with her while she was unconscious.
“I didn’t do anything wrong,” McDonald replied. His home was searched later that night.
The 49ers released McDonald on Wednesday, citing a pattern of behavior and off-field issues.
Last month, the Santa Clara County district attorney’s office announced that it declined to file charges against the defensive lineman in a domestic violence investigation. He was arrested Aug. 31 while celebrating his then-upcoming 30th birthday at his home.
AP Sports Writer Janie McCauley contributed to this report from Santa Clara.